Thursday, March 21, 2013

Shilpa goes to Amsterdam for a Chest XRay

Nothing serious. Just protocol for a visa, but it was too cool of a title opp not to use :)

The Dutch seem to have a system of subsidized and socialized healthcare. I couldn't really understand it, but all I know is, it took me less than an hour and 55 Eur to get my work done.

Here's what I found on wiki- Funding for all short-term health care is 50% from employers, 45% from the insured person and 5% by the government. Children under 18 are covered for free. Those on low incomes receive compensation to help them pay their insurance. Premiums paid by the insured are about 100 € per month (about US$127 in Aug. 2010 and in 2012 €150 or US$196,) with variation of about 5% between the various competing insurers, and deductible a year €220 US$288.

People took token numbers when they came in and they were seen in that order. Seemed like an awesome system to me!!

BTW: There are probably no lines/people complaining about healthcare because the Dutch are so overwhelming fond of riding bicycles/being outside and active in general. I can't even remember the number of people I saw biking to/from places in the snow. They must all be so healthy!

Anyways...here are some pictures from Amsterdam




Easy times, indeed.






See what I meant about bikes?

Sweet tram conductor allowed me to ride to the station for free


yes, indeed.


Amsterdam Centraal- train station

Cars and boats and bikes, oh my!

I ate at this chinese fast food restaurant called Wok to Walk. My, it was delicious! You pick your noodles, your meat and your sauce and they "wok it" for you.

My table mates were two kids from Texas. Small world, I tell ya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

*Disclaimer

If you really are a cat, I would first like to apologize for my presumption and secondly congratulate you on your excellent cognitive capacity and motor skills.